11.08.2009

music makes the show

after working on these "surrealist" paintings for about a year now, i have finally figured out what i want them to be about and that's all thanks to the style of music i am listening to. i was asked to come up with a soundtrack for my show. i figured i would find artistic instrumental music so it doesn't take away from the show. however, in my search i came across eerie, space-like music that fits perfectly with my paintings. it is all clear to me now that my paintings are not about compostition..that is only the beginning. they are about being mysterious lifeforms, perhaps from a different planet or universe. i am bringing them to life through my paintings and through music.

it's so wonderful to be able to feel everything come together! i am counting down the days until the show..

last night i was very overwhelmed since i have so many deadlines to meet. i was about ready to make a post about being stressed out and wanting to quit painting for a while. after hearing this music, everything kind of clicked and i couldn't be happier. 

i also think some of the books i have been reading have helped put the pieces together. i have been enthralled by a contemporary japanese writer, Haruki Murakami for quite some time. his work is so lifelike and yet it has surrealistic notions and characters. it makes me want to venture out into that realm with my art. also other writers have come into play: Franz Kafka, Ray Bradbury, HG Wells, to name a few.

i feel like my art is actually going somewhere, even if no one understands it. i don't care anymore because i understand. i think really that's all that matters. for now, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. i can't wait for your art show! sounds like everything is coming together for you. that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete